I’m sorry for my prolonged absence. My father has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks and I’ve spent a lot of time on the road. It’s been hard to find the time, let alone get inspired about writing anything. I have been slowly but steadily working on a few projects. Today’s post is one of those projects.
Kitchen Window – Before
I’ve been thinking about this project for awhile and finally got around to completing it. My kitchen window faces my neighbors house; visualize Joey’s window on Friends, only without the singing neighbor. Before I replaced my windows several years ago, I had plain frosted window film on the window. It was kind of boring, but more pleasant than the view of the side of my neighbor’s house. I knew I wanted to do something with the window, but a lot of what I really liked was out of my price range. If you have more room in your budget, there are a lot of fun window films out there, like these.
First Few Tiles
I decided the least expensive route would be to use some contact paper. I printed the Moroccan tile pattern, traced it on clear contact paper many, many times and cut and cut and cut some more. I probably spent at least 3-4 hours cutting, a great project for sitting in the hospital. It took about the same time to install them on the window. I broke the installation into two sessions; I did the bottom half one day, and the top another.
I really like how it turned out. I can still see out, if I want to and it still permits a lot of light to get through. In addition to adding the window film, I also changed some of my accessories. I decided to replace my colored glass with more white accessories (two of which I painted white), for a simpler look. I really like how the white and green looks with the pattern. There’s still plenty of light for my plants but the view is a little more interesting.